Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My mom's ketchup shrimp


Growing up, mom used to make this dish pretty often and my favorite part of eating it was the de-shelling of the shrimp. My fingers would get all messy and covered in this garlicky, sweet and sour reddish sauce. It was indeed finger lickin' good!

Mom's way was just lots of garlic and prawns with their shells on.

Since "the hub" doesn't eat shrimp, when I do cook it, I tend to put tofu and vegetable to make it a one pot dish. Also, I used de-shell shrimp this time because I got the wrong ones!

Ingredients
Ketchup (I use Trader Joe ketchup as there's no high fructose corn syrup or preservatives)
Chopped garlic (as much as you like!)
White distilled vinegar
Brown sugar

Cooking

For prawns with shells intact (marinade prawns in a drizzle of soy sauce for 10 minutes)

Heat vegetable oil till slightly smoking
Put shrimp in and toss until shells get slightly brown
Put shrimp aside
Heat up more oil and add chopped garlic
Squeeze in ketchup (about 3 - 4 big squeeze)
Dash of Vinegar
Teaspoon brown sugar
Add some water to make sauce
Stir, taste and add more condiments to achieve a sweet sour balance
When sauce is ready, add slightly cooked shrimp and toss

For de-shell prawns (marinade in drizzle of soy sauce and sugar for 10 minutes)

Heat oil and toss in garlic
Add ketchup, vinegar and sugar mixture
Add some water to dilute
Add shrimp (with tofu an vegetable if you're planning to add these)

Serve over rice, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment